Tuesday, May 29, 2007

May 24th: Sunnah Prayers

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah,

In this week's halaqah we spoke about the confirmed sunnahs of prayer:
-2 before fajr
-4 before dhuhr, and 2 after dhuhr
-2 after maghrib
-2 after isha

We also spoke about the unconfirmed sunnahs of Prayer, such as:
-2 or 4 before Asr
-2 before Maghrib
-2 before Isha

We also spoke about the importance of praying
1) salat Adduha: This prayer is prayed after sunrise, it's prayed in pairs of 2 rakaas and one may pray a minimum of 2 rakaas and a maximum of 12.

2)Salat al-Istikhara: This is a prayer that is performed when one is about to make a decision in one's life, be it big or small. One would pray 2 rakaas and then recite the following dua:
“Oh Allah, I ask of You the good through Your knowledge and I ask You to grant me ability through Your power and beg Your favor of infinite bounty, for surely, You have power and I have none, You know all and I know nothing, and You are the knower of all that is hidden. O Allah if, in Your knowledge, this matter (mention the matter here) be good for my faith, my livelihood and the outcome of my affairs in the world and the Hereafter, then ordain it for me and facilitate it for me and grant me blessing in it. But, if in Your knowledge this matter (mention it here) is bad for my faith, my livelihood and the outcome of my affairs in the world and the Hereafter, then turn it away from me and turn me away from it, and ordain for me the good wherever it be, and cause me to be pleased with it”

3)Salat al-Hajah (The prayer of need): When one is in need of something one must first ask Allah. One is recommended to pray the prayer of need by praying 2 rakaas and then reciting the following dua:
“There is no god but Allah, the Most Forbearing and Generous. Exalted is Allah the Lord of the Great Thron. Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds. I ask of You those things which will procure Your mercy, and Your immense forgiveness, a full share of virtuous deeds, and complete safety from iniquity. Do not let any sin of mine to be left unforgiven, nor any worry and pain unrelieved, nor any need which is a source of pleasure for You unfulfilled, O Most Merciful of the merciful.”


Finally we ended our halaqah by speaking about some sunnahs regarding sleep, such as:
-Making wudu before sleeping
-Sleeping on one's right side
-Reciting ayat al-Kursi as well as the dua of sleep, which is: “O Allah, I have surrendered my life to You and turned my face toward You and entrusted all my affairs to You and wholly placed my reliace in You. All this I do to gain Your mercy and due to fear of Your punishment. There is no protection from Your wrath except through Your mercy. I believe in the Book You have revealed and in the Prophet You have sent.”
-Staying awake after fajr
-waking up in the middle of the night to pray Qiyam ul-layl

wassalamu alaikum,
Dana

No comments: